As a country, we need to embrace the "local is lekker" ideology, rather than the old adage that local products are not as good quality as those manufactured overseas. To change this mindset, it requires educating consumers on the benefits of buying local brands and also requires that local brands don't necessarily aim for international affirmation and rather focus on having consistent messaging and positioning that is aligned with their core purpose.
There are many reasons why shopping local brands is better for you, the consumer, the community and the country. With the economy being negatively impacted by COVID and all businesses being affected by it in South Africa, along with the changes in behaviour of consumers, there is no better time than now to re-evaluate how you shop, not only fashion, but all the products you purchase.Some of the economical benefits include the fact that:
- Local businesses are more likely to use other local businesses such as banks, service providers, and suppliers
- Approximately 70% of funds spent at a local business will stay in the country
- Small local businesses are the largest employers nationally and create two out of every three new jobs
- Locally owned businesses contribute more to local charities and fundraisers than do their international counterparts.
- Creating economic growth will attract new talent and professionals, who in turn may start their own businesses and further increase the local economy
Why Shop Local Fashion Brands?
A Local fashion brand is a brand that manufactures smaller quantities of its products than its larger counterparts and promotes and targets its products to consumers based on their geographical location. Local brands like Label Collections are generally online stores that ship nationally in addition to supplying to boutique stores, offering items that are more unique than those purchased at retail outlets.
Garments made by local South African designers, are made ‘by locals, for locals’. Locally sourced clothing includes a strong cultural influence that only South Africans can truly understand and appreciate. Local designers understand the pulse of the nation and develop their range based on that.
As products are not imported from another country, buying local fashion brands is much more environmentally friendly than buying international brands because less greenhouse gas emissions are produced as there is no import or export involved.
Purchasing local designer fashion brands can also assure you of quality control as they must be manufactured using stringent quality standards set by the South African government.